Setting up blogdown

I recently decided that I wanted to move my professional homepage from a free page set up on WordPress to GitHub Pages using blogdown by Yihui Xi.

There were basically two reasons for this: (1) Because I only sprang for the free WordPress site, there are gigantic, ugly ads that appear on every single page. I only recently realized this as I was usually viewing my WordPress site while being logged on – and apparently, the ads only appear for other people. Needless to say, I found this very unappealing, but am also not willing to pay a huge subscription fee. (2) I love coding in R, and do a lot of my analysis work in reproducible Rmarkdown documents, and as such it seemed like it would be an easy move over to blogdown – this means I would be able to maintain my website in R, have a lot more flexibility and control over the look of my website, and avoid those ugly WordPress ads.

To set up my new GitHub Pages website, I found the following two blogs to be extremely helpful:

I basically went through the first link step-by-step to create my website. To summarize:

  1. I created a new repository for my blogdown source content.
  2. I installed Hugo using the install_hugo() function from blogdown.
  3. I built the template for the new site using `blogdown::new_site(theme = “gcushen/hugo-academic”, theme_example = TRUE).
  4. I changed the config.toml configuration file to set the baseurl to my GitHub URL using baseurl = "https://<username>", and I told blogdown which directory to place the rendered site in using publishDir = "../<username>".
  5. Finally, I can create new content using the new_post() and new_content() functions from blogdown.
  6. I can then render the site locally using serve_site(), and I can build the site using build_site(). After building the site and staging all changed files to both repsoitories, all that’s left to do is commit changes and push the new site to GitHub.

For hosting it on GitHub, I used the second option from this link – namely, I have two repositories (including an extra one to store the source content and tell blogdown to publish the site to my repository each time I build it, meaning I have to remember to push both repositories to GitHub when I make updates). The only other change from the tutorial I used was to add the hidden file .nojekyll to my repository to make sure that GitHub does not rebuild the website using Jekyll.

As an addendum to this post, I also followed Ming Tang’s instructions for customizing my website, primarily by changing the config.toml file. Notably, I changed the menu bar from white to black, added a CV section, and inactivated the selected publication and contact widgets.